Sunday, September 16, 2012

Week 2: Don't Overreact

Robert Griffin III gives Redskins fans a lot to cheer about. (Getty)
Ok, so we've seen one week of games.  It's pretty easy overreact to the outcomes, but keep in mind that some teams probably came out fired up (the New York Jets) and some teams came out flat (the New York Giants).

It's not a long season.  There's no time to slump in the NFL, but there are 16 games and every team is still capable of going 15-1, so it's way too early to overreact to one poor outcome.


Stally (Eight-Point Pick) – @New England over Arizona

Stally:  Tom Brady at home or Kevin Kolb on the road?  This was a pretty easy choice to make.

Austen: Kolb is terrible and Brady is a champ. I'm having a hard time seeing a Cards win.

Austen (Eight-Point Pick) – Houston over @Jacksonville


Austen: Texans might be the most talented team in the NFL and the Jags still have Blaine Gabbert starting at quarterback. Enough said.

Stally: Yep!  Enough said, the only reason to pause is that this game is in Florida, but I agreed this was the second best option.

Stally (Seven-Point Pick) – @San Diego over Tennessee


Stally: I'm not digging Tennessee without a quarterback that already seemed like somewhat of a stretch to be a viable starter.  I'm always optimistic on the Chargers because of their talent and I think this one is more of a mismatch than most of the other games.

Austen: That's a lot of bet on a Chargers team that needed their special teams to beat a mediocre Raiders team, but this is a game the Chargers have to win at home.

Austen (Seven-Point Pick) – Baltimore over @ Philadelphia

Austen: The Ravens looked dominant last week and the Eagles almost lost to the Browns. With their all star receivers banged up, I don't think the Eagles have much of a chance, but we never know when Joe Flacco will lay his first egg of the season.

Stally:  I agree that the Ravens will win, but I think that you definitely over-picked them for seven points.  Philadelphia on the road is no easy out.

Stally (Six-Point Pick) – @San Francisco over Detroit


Stally: I thought the 49ers would regress a little after last year, but with a Week 1 win at Green Bay, I stand corrected.  Based on Week 1, it looks like it's the Lions that might regress, so I'm definitely taking San Fran at The 'Stick.

Austen: The 49ers showed they can hang with the big boys in the league last week and the Lions barely beat the Rams. The Niners definitely get the edge in this one.

Austen (Six-Point Pick) – @ Cincinnati over Cleveland


Austen: The Bengals are angry about getting beaten up by their big brother in the division (the Ravens). Now its time to take that anger out on the runt in the family (the Browns). 

Stally:  Cincinnati is a team is the kind of team that I'm talking about when I say not to overreact.  They never play the Ravens well and I still think they'll contend for a playoff spot.

Stally (Five-Point Pick) – @Green Bay over Chicago


Stally: I know, I know, you took the Bears.  Wow, a team going on the road on a short week to a team that went 15-1 last year didn't win?  Watch below to see my shocked face.




Austen: I did not see the Bears putting up a performance like that. Cutler threw four picks and was sacked seven times. Apparently the Packers defense is back. Watch out.

Austen (Five-Point Pick) – Washington over @St. Louis


Austen: I don't like taking a rookie quarterback on the road, but then again they are playing the Rams. Sam Bradford really needs to step up his game before I take the Rams over anyone in this league.

Stally:  I think the Rams might be better than we give them credit, but let me quit playing Devil's Advocate ... I'm all in on RG3.  I agree with this pick.

Stally (Four-Point Pick) – @Pittsburgh over New York-Jets


Stally: I'm hesitant on this pick, but I don't see a lot else that I like.  The Steelers at home against a Jets team that looked all world against an overhyped Bills team is about the safest thing left.  It's possible Pittsburgh could be much worse than we think and the Jets could be better, but I have to play the odds on this one.

Austen: I've got the Jets winning a close one. The Steelers offensive line is a mess (what else is new) and they are down their best two defensive players. Both of these teams need a win badly, so it should be fun to watch.

Austen (Four-Point Pick) – Oakland over @Miami


Austen: Oakland might have knocked off San Diego last week if not for about seven mishaps on special teams. The Fins were atrocious as usual last week and they tend to save their worst football for their home crowd. All signs point to a Raiders' W.

Stally: The Dolphins did nothing last week to change our opinion that they're the worst team in the league.  That said, it's the Raiders, so I'm not putting it past them to find a way to lose.

Stally (Three-Point Pick) – @Buffalo over Kansas City


Stally: I think the Bills read too many press clippings this offseason about how legit they are.  Yet, I still think they're capable of going about 8-8 and they tend to play well at home.  Likewise, the Chiefs are usually more of a home team, so I give advantage Bills in this one.

Austen: I've got the Chiefs because I think their run game can dominate the Bills defense. We shall see if they can finally find some rhythm on offense and take down a wounded Bills team.

Austen (Three-Point Pick) – New Orleans over @Carolina


Austen: The Saints simply cannot start the season 0-2. I just don't see it happening, especially against a team that they tend to beat up on. If the Panthers can't find a way to run the ball (they had TEN rushing yards last week against the Bucs), they are in for a very, very long season.

Stally: I'm out on the Saints right now.  I'll take Cam Newton at home in this one, as I don't think the teams are all that far apart in talent.


Stally (Two-Point Pick) – @Indianapolis over Minnesota


Stally: I think this has to be the first time in a calendar year that either of us have picked the Colts to win a game.  I like Andrew Luck at home over Christian Ponder on the road and I expect the rookie to show off for his new fans.

Austen: The Vikes cannot stop anyone from passing all over them. Andrew Luck will have a great day and lead his team to their first win of the season.

Austen (Two-Point Pick) – @New York-G over Tampa Bay


Austen: The Bucs might feel a bit over confident after a big division win last week. The Giants are a much better team than the Panthers and the Bucs' offense will have to really hit the next gear in order for them to keep up with a pissed off Giants team. This should be a good game to watch, but the Giants know they have to win in order to keep the press off their back.

Stally: I don't think the Giants are nearly as good as you say they are.  Keep in mind this was a 9-7 team last year in the regular season and I don't think they did anything to improve this year.  I'm taking the Bucs because I think they're a better team.

Stally (One-Point Pick) – Denver over @Atlanta


Stally:  This is a coin flip, but I think we might all be a little too excited about the Falcons.  They've routinely come up a little short when it mattered and really make most of their money against lesser teams.  I'm very impressed with Peyton's Broncos and I do think they proved the preseason hype was warranted.

Austen: I think Atlanta will score early and often. Peyton will have to have a hell of a day in order to keep up, which won't be easy with the Falcons having one of the best cornerback trios in the league.

Austen (One-Point Pick) – @Seattle over Dallas


Austen: MAJOR UPSET ALERT! Call me crazy, but I just see Russel Wilson have a solid game against the revamped Boys' defense. Tony Romo tends to struggle against tough opposing crowds, and Seattle has one of the loudest. I foresee a lot of false starts for the Cowboys' offensive line and some costly errors for Romo. 

Stally: It's not really a major upset if we both pick Seattle, is it?  Clearly, I'm high enough on the Cowboys that if I thought they were going to win this, I wouldn't have let the game fall this far.  Seattle is a different team at home than on the road, and I do think that will cause problems for the Cowboys offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment