Sunday, October 28, 2012

Week 8: The CBA (Collective Blogging Agreement)

Rodgers and the Packers should be doing
a touchdown dance on Sunday.
It seems like the OXen are in general agreement this week with just a couple of exceptions.  Austen was headed to the Jets-Dolphins game early so he got all his thoughts in before Stally shared any.  Luckily after the draft phone call and a follow up 30-minutes on why USC sucks, they OXen are on the same page.

Austen's Seven-Point Pick: @Green Bay over Jacksonville

Austen: This was an easy one. I bet against the Jags with my second pick when they were playing the Raiders on the road. They are now down their only good player (MJD) and their starting quarterback. And Aaron Rodgers has been unstoppable.

Stally: I agree there were two easy picks this week and I also put this as my top choice.

Stally's Seven-Point Pick: @Chicago over Carolina

Stally: This was choice 1B to Austen's 1A.  No matter who he took, I knew I had a great pick remaining.  Carolina is just awful and they won't be any good against such a balanced Bears team.

Austen: This was my second choice and I almost took it first overall. I don't give the Panters much of a chance.

Austen's Six-Point Pick - New England over St. Louis (in London)

Austen: The Rams really got screwed by hosting the Patriots in London, where the Patriots ironically are the most popular NFL team. The Rams are much better team at home in the dome, so I don't give them too much of a chance in the terrible English weather. The Pats thrive in terrible weather. All signs point to Patriots.

Stally: This will sound like sand bagging, but the Rams are definitely improved.  That said, I agree that I like that this "away" game is at a neutral field and at some point the Patriots have to start playing like the Patriots ... right?

Stally's Six-Point Pick - San Francisco over @Arizona

Stally: Arizona is good at home and their defense could cause problems for Alex Smith and the 49ers.  However, that's just the Devil's Advocate speaking.  We can all agree that the 4-0 start for the now 4-3 Cardinals was a fluke.  The 49ers are not.

Austen: The 49ers defense should absolutely destroy the Cardinals offensive line that has been the worst in the league so far this season. This is clearly the right pick for Stally.

Austen's Five-Point Pick - San Diego over @Cleveland

Austen: I don't like this all that much, but I don't like pretty much anything left on the board already. The Chargers are definitely the better team, but unfortunately the Chargers love losing to terrible teams and are horrendous in the second half this season. I still like the Chargers to pull it together just enough to take care of business against one of the worst teams in the league.

Stally: I mean, I also think the Chargers would win, but I gave them just seven of 14 confidence points. That's not a lot of support for a team going against one of the league's worst.

Stally's Five-Point Pick - @Minnesota over Tampa Bay

Stally: I banked on the fact that the home team usually has a big advantage in Thursday night games.  I also saw it as a good team in the Vikings against just a mediocre one in the Bucs, but it's possible the Vikings are overrated.  At least Austen gave me Doug Martin in a fantasy football league three minutes before kickoff and he went off for me.

Austen: Stally already lost this one, but I had the Vikes too. They had been great so far this season, far exceeding expectations. The Bucs are on a hot streak and their free agent pick ups are really starting to pay off.

Austen's Four-Point Pick - New York-G over @Dallas

Austen: The Cowboys are really banged up and Eli Manning has been better than any other quarterback ever in the month of October. That is kind of a stupid statistic, but it exists for a reason. Eli is on a tear right now. I can't see them losing to the Cowboys twice.

Stally: The best quarterback ever in the month of October?  I'm sure it has a lot to do with the month and not just a coincidence in the hot streak.  You know me, I'm taking the Cowboys at home over a Giants team that's picked up some lucky wins (Bucs, Redskins) to name two.

Stally's Four-Point Pick - @Denver over New Orleans

Stally: The Saints defense is terrible and this should be a huge game for Peyton Manning.  The Bronocs have dug themselves into a 21-point hole in four games so far this season, yet they're still 3-3 on the year.  Even with a great offense, there's no way New Orleans can score enough to bury Denver.

Austen: This is a toss up to me. The Saints have the better offense and the Broncos have the better defense. Peyton Manning has been unbelievable as of late, but can he outgun Drew Brees and avoid making costly errors that plagued him earlier in the season? Should be a great game, but is a matchup I'm avoiding.

Austen's Three-Point Pick - @Pittsburgh over Washington

Austen: I think the Steelers are about to go on a roll and the Redskins' defense should get torn up by these Steelers receivers. RG3 is amazing but I do not think he has the defense to help him win this one.

Stally: I love me some RG3 and I don't buy into the Steelers being better than an 8-8 team.  I'm going with the Redskins with one confidence point.

Stally's Three-Point Pick - Atlanta over @Philadelphia

Stally: Here's the bottom line: this is a good team versus a bad team.  The Eagles are not good.  Plain and simple.  They turn the ball over like it's on fire and they've been lucky to win any games at all, as their three wins are by four points total.

Austen: This is another toss up to me. I have Atlanta, but Michael Vick will have some extra incentive to win this one against the franchise that cut ties with him when he needed them most. I hate Vick, but he could have a solid day. The Falcons are the better team, but they can be streaky on the road.

Austen's Two-Point Pick - @New York-J over Miami

Austen: The Jets have been playing the best football they have all season, but they keep losing. I think they turn that around in this one and sweep the Dolphins. The Fins' defensive backs can be exploited.

Stally: The Jets keep losing games because they aren't very good and they were a missed overtime field goal away from losing in Miami the first time these two teams met.  Homerism aside, I'm taking the Dolphins.

Stally's Two-Point Pick - Oakland over @Kansas City

Stally: This isn't a great game to watch, but I think the Raiders have more to offer than a Kansas City team with Jamaal Charles and no one else.

Austen: I have the Chiefs in this one. I'm siding with the home team, no other reasoning besides that.

Austen's One-Point Pick - Seattle over @Detroit

Austen: The Seahawks are a bad matchup for the Lions, who have been pretty terrible this season. They have the corners to shut down Calvin Johnson (I can't believe I just said that). They have the defensive line to force Matthew Stafford into making more terrible decisions. Russell Wilson's running ability should tire out the Lion's D-line, which is the only solid part of this defense. I think the Seahawks keep up their momentum and win this one on the road.

Stally: I like Detroit because they're at home.  I definitely understand the matchup issues the Seahawks cause, but I also don't have enough respect for Russell Wilson to think that he's going to outpace Matthew Stafford.  This should be a low scoring affair decided by a field goal.

Stally's One-Point Pick - @Tennessee over Indianapolis

Stally: These teams are very even, and as division rivals, this should be a good battle.  I give the advantage to the Titans since they're at home and because I like the depth of their talent a little more.

Austen: This is another one that Stally took that I really have no idea on who will come away with a W. I have the Titans, but Andrew Luck could very well knock off this team. However, it is always safe to side with the home team.

No comments:

Post a Comment