Sunday, October 6, 2013

Week 5: Austen's Bye Week

Not even my run in with a Jets cheerleader could
draw Austen away from his work. (NYJets.com)
Hey, it's Stally.  Don't try to get in touch with Austen.  He's working about 16 hours a day/7 days a week and not only does he not have time to write the blog, he barely even got around to making his picks (at 1 a.m on Sunday morning).

Here's a gauge of just how busy he is: I texted him a picture to show that Ashley Gray was in Victory Lane at New Hampshire Motor Speedway when her dad finished second in a legends car race, and he didn't even have time to respond to my text.

Don't feel bad if you don't know who Ashley is by name.  Just feel bad for Austen that a Jets cheerleader can't even draw his attention away from a work.

Without his assistance, I'll take a look at our picks and explain why we may or may not disagree:


Austen's Eight-Point Pick
@Atlanta over New York Jets

The Falcons have been less than impressive this year in starting 1-3, but they also have lost to teams that are a combined 11-1 with the only loss being a head-to-head matchup (between New Orleans and Miami).  They don't usually lose in the Georgia Dome, and Austen and I agree this is the most logical pick to start the week.

Stally's Eight-Point Pick
Denver over @Dallas

The Broncos haven't scored less than 37 points in any of their first four games, and Dallas's defense ranks 27th in the league in pass defense.  The home team won't keep up in this one.

Austen's Seven-Point Pick
@Green Bay over Detroit

I believe the stat I saw on Sports Center was that Green Bay has gone 16-1 in their last 17 against Detroit ... or something around there.  I can't see a way that the Packers drop this one at home to a Detroit team that's going to define "mediocre" this season.

Stally's Seven-Point Pick
Seattle over @Indianapolis

I agree with Austen's assertion that the Seahawks are the best team in the league.  With how bad the Texans are looking, the Colts could certainly be the best team in the AFC South, but I can't go against the most well-rounded team in the NFL.  Austen thought I took this game too early, but I just don't see another game that I like more.

Austen's Six-Point Pick
@St. Louis over Jacksonville

Obviously, Austen is banking on Jacksonville being too bad of a team to really beat anyone.  I can't argue with that as they only average 7.75 points/game and have scored just three touchdowns in four games.  Still, I don't think the Rams are good enough to go this early.

Stally's Six-Point Pick
@San Francisco over Houston

Austen and I are in agreement on this one.  The 49ers had an ugly loss against the Colts at home two weeks ago, but looked back to business as usual in disposing of the Rams last Thursday.  It's appearing more and more likely that Houston just isn't very good.

Austen's Five-Point Pick
San Diego over @Oakland

The Chargers are better than we both expected and, as Austen pointed out, "the Raiders are bad."  I still can't figure out why this game starts at about midnight on the East Coast on Sunday, but it saves us from having to consider watching Oakland on that ugly half-baseball diamond setup.

Stally's Five-Point Pick
New England over @Cincinnati

This Patriots squad certainly doesn't appear to be the best one that's ever started 4-0 under Bill Belichick, but it's winning games.  That's more than I can say about a Bengals team that lost to the Browns.  This one will likely be close, but New England has gotten it done in close ones this year.

Austen's Four-Point Pick
Kansas City over @Tennessee

I can't fault Austen for taking the 4-0 Chiefs, but my goodness, their schedule hasn't been difficult, as two of their four wins have come against 0-4 clunkers.  I like the Titans in this one because they're at home, and Austen and I both agree that there's not much drop off from Jake Locker to Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB.  (Locker is injured.)

Stally's Four-Point Pick
@Miami over Baltimore

I was kicking myself for not sticking with my Buffalo over Baltimore pick that I had up until kickoff last weekend.  I was drawn in by Austen's argument that the Ravens were coming off a 30-9 rubbing of the Texans.  Miami is decent; Baltimore is not; the home team is the clear choice.

Austen's Three-Point Pick
Carolina over @Arizona

If it were biologically possible, I think Austen might be willing to mother Cam Newton's children.  He seems to love Carolina most every week, and we tend to disagree.  This one is a toss up to me, but I'm taking Arizona at home.  I've been higher on the Cardinals all season than Austen, and they really need to win games like this, if they want to be considered a decent team.

Stally's Three-Point Pick
New Orleans over @Chicago

With all the talk about the Broncos and Seahawks, the Saints were getting overlooked early in the year, but they're good ... they're very, very good.  Chicago won't be an easy out at home by any means, but New Orleans is good enough to make them look like mere bear cubs.

Austen's Two-Point Pick
@New York Giants over Philadelphia

I wouldn't put it past these two teams to have this one end in a tie.  Both seem to be lackluster shells of their potential.  The Giants are hapless on offense, in large part because Eli Manning stinks, and the Eagles defense might not hold up in a Powder Puff league.  I think the Eagles offense is the best unit on the field, and I gave the advantage to them.  Austen, obviously, is banking more on the Giants winning at home, but I question how supportive that crowd is going to be.  Heck, with how they've been playing, I would think both of these teams would prefer a road game.

Stally's Two-Point Pick
@Cleveland over Buffalo

This was Thursday night's game, and I like taking the home team in that matchup.  I was right this week.  I can't explain why trading the cornerstone player of the franchise, Trent Richardson, made this team better, but they actually look like a competent football team.

No comments:

Post a Comment