Sunday, December 15, 2013

Week 15: A Lot To Be Decided

In a season that's proven to be unpredictable, the
win-by-the-seat-of-their-pants Patriots are somehow
in a position to jump atop the AFC. (Getty)
There are three weeks left in the NFL season, and we're no closer to drawing a playoff picture than we were three weeks ago.  Well, maybe we're a little closer.

Seattle, Denver and Indianapolis have all clinched a spot, while New England, New Orleans and Kansas City appear close.  However, after that, the picture gets murky quickly.

In the AFC North, the Bengals are closing in on the division, but a loss to Pittsburgh today would gum up the works. Meanwhile, the AFC's final playoff spot is completely up in the air with four teams at 7-6 or 6-7 entering the week, and only one spot available.

In the NFC, the divisions are more up for grabs, as Philadelphia leads Dallas by a game in the East and Detroit, Chicago, and Green Bay are all within half a game in the North.  It's also worth noting that at 8-5 and having beaten 9-4 Carolina, the Arizona Cardinals are very much in the hunt.

Some of the question marks will get crossed out by some crucial outcomes in Week 15; others will get carried into next week.  Here's who the OXen have this week:

Austen's Eight-Point Pick
Seattle over @New York Giants

Austen: This is the worst Giants' team I have ever seen, and I have seen some pretty bad Giants' teams in my lifetime. I don't care that the game is in New York, the Seahawks are going to cream them.

Stally: The Giants are below average on both sides of the ball and going against a team that ranks second in points allowed and tied for third in points scored.  I do think that being in New York will help the home team, but it won't be the deciding factor.

Stally's Eight-Point Pick
@Jacksonville over Buffalo

Stally: Can we get some love for the Jags!?  They've played 13 games and we haven't picked them to win once.  In fact, we could probably count the numbers of times we've ever pick them to win in the three-year history of the blog on one hand.  I realize this is a complete over draft, but when it comes to Jacksonville ... not terrible!

Austen: This is the first time this year that I have Jacksonville, so that says something about how bad the Bills are. Cecil Shorts is a last minute scratch on this game, but I still like the Jags' chances.

Austen's Seven-Point Pick
@Indianapolis over Houston

Austen: Remember when we thought that this game could decide the division? How things change in the NFL. The Texans are by far the worst team in the NFL and the Colts already have clinched the division thanks to its mediocrity. I think the Colts win a high scoring game.

Stally: If the playoffs started today, the Colts would be the four seed in the AFC ... and they're the only team in the league to have clinched their division.  That reflects just how bad the rest of the AFC South is, and the Texans are in the basement of that trash heap.

Stally's Seven-Point Pick
@Denver over San Diego

Stally: This was a big Thursday night upset for the Chargers.  It's no secret that I love the home teams on Thursdays, and I was taking one of the best teams in the league that was 7-0 at home.  They lost, but I wasn't alone in missing on this one.

Austen: I had Denver but liked the Chargers's chances. I just thought that in the clutch, they would let the game slip away at the end, the way they have done all season long. This is the biggest win for the Chargers in years and now even I am pulling for them to make the playoffs.

Austen's Six-Point Pick
Kansas City over @Oakland

Austen: The Raiders stink. The Chiefs are still one of the best teams in the AFC, despite recent struggles so I expect them to handle the Raiders with ease.

Stally: I put this is in a similar ballpark to how Austen viewed Denver and San Diego before kickoff.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders stuck around in a game in which I don't think either team scores more than 24 points, but at the end of the day, the Chiefs are much better and will win.

Stally's Six-Point Pick
@Carolina over New York Jets

Stally: This pits one of the best defenses in the league against a quarterback that has 14 total touchdowns to 24 total turnovers.  This one will be lopsided.

Austen: If the Jets can keep Cam Newton in the pocket and force him to make plays with his arm, they have a chance. That being said, Newton could still dissect their shaky secondary but at least they'd have a chance. I expect this to be a blowout, but the Jets have played their best football when no one gives them a chance, so who knows.

Austen's Five-Point Pick
Philadelphia over @Minnesota

Austen: No Adrian Peterson. No Toby Gerhart. I expected no AP, but without Gerhart they really have no chance. The Vikings might be the least talented team in the NFL.

Stally: Eh, I still think the Jags are the least talented team in the NFL, but I put eight points on them this week, so I guess I need to change that tune.  I agree that the Vikings are depleted and that this game won't be close.

Stally's Five-Point Pick
New Orleans over @St. Louis

Stally: I have a weird feeling that this might be an upset in the making, but New Orleans is just so darn good indoors.  I can't go against Drew Brees and his passing attack in an air-conditioned dome.

Austen: The Rams' play has dropped off as of late and I think it is because teams have figured out how to play Kellen Clemens (that took way too long). I think the Saints keep rolling and try to put some more distance between themselves and the Panthers. 

Austen's Four-Point Pick
Arizona over @Tennessee

Austen: I pretty much always get Titans games wrong and Stally always gets them right. He has the Titans, but I am not really sure why. They are not good and have not played decent football since the first half of the season. The Cardinals have been one of the hottest teams in the NFL. I will stick with them even on the road.

Stally: I feel like a broken record on this one, but Arizona is completely different on the road (2-4) than at home (6-1).  I don't like them on the road, nor should I, so I'm going with the Titans.

Stally's Four-Point Pick
@Detroit over Baltimore

Stally: The Lions have their good home team and their stinky road team.  They've scored 190 points in six home games, en route to a 4-2 record and +43 scoring differential.  They've scored 156 in seven road games, en route to a 3-4 record and -18 scoring differential.  I like them at home against a Ravens team that I just don't think is all that good.

Austen: Stally is a Grade A Ravens hater. I like the Lions at home, but this is going to be a close game. 

Austen's Three-Point Pick
San Francisco over @Tampa Bay

Austen: This is simply too big of a mismatch. The 49ers are still fighting for their playoff lives and they cannot let a game like this slip away. They will win and win easy.

Stally: I think the Niners win, but not easily.  The Bucs are 4-1 since starting 0-8 and prove to be a formidable opponent most every week.

Stally's Three-Point Pick
Chicago over @Cleveland

Stally: How in the hell are the Bears not favorites to win this game?  Las Vegas has no respect for that team, but I do.  They're tied for the division lead, and Jay Cutler is back (although Josh McCown played well in his stead).

Austen: The Browns are simply terrible. Josh Gordon is amazing and the defense is decent, but nothing special. They cannot run the ball and they cannot finish games. How could the Bears not be the clear favorite in this one?

Austen's Two-Point Pick
New England over @Miami

Austen: I could totally see the Pats falling in this one, but they always seem to play their best football with their backs against the wall. With Rob Gronkowski out for the year, the media is losing faith in their elite status and I think this will be a statement game for them. 

Stally: I can't believe that with the Broncos losing, the Patriots now control their destiny to the top seed in the AFC.  I'm still surprised that they just manage to find ways to win every week, let alone sit atop the conference.  New England has a knack for losing fluke games to Miami, and considering the string of luck they've had, it might be time for it to run out.  That said, the Pats are the better team, so they're still the pick.

Stally's Two-Point Pick
@Atlanta over Washington

Stally: Remember when George Washington crossed the Delaware?  Well, this Washington is lost at sea.  I'll take whomever they're playing, even if it's the 3-10 Falcons.

Austen: Don't doubt Kirk Cousins. He will make this team more competitive. I have the Falcons, but I like it a lot less with Cousins in the game. 

Austen's One-Point Pick
@Dallas over Green Bay

Austen: No Aaron Rodgers means no win for the Packers. It's that simple. If Matt Flynn tears up this defense, Monte Kiffin should be forced to commit seppuku. 

Stally: I stayed away from this game, as I didn't know Aaron Rodgers's health when we were picking it.  He's the difference maker.  Without him, the Packers don't win in a building where the Cowboys are an impressive 5-1 this season.

Stally's One-Point Pick
@Pittsburgh over Cincinnati

Stally: I tend to like the home team is the AFC North grudge matches.  They tend to be ugly, three-point affairs, and those tend to go in favor of the home crowds.

Austen: The Bengals have not been good on the road this year so I cannot fault the thought process, but I'm sticking with Cincinnati in this one. I think they are just significantly the better football team and they really want to clinch that division. 

No comments:

Post a Comment