Sunday, December 22, 2013

Week 16: Bye Weeks or Bye, Bye

Tony Romo didn't give up five touchdowns
in the second half, his defense did. (Getty)
Stally: There's a lot on the line this week.  Some teams are looking for a first-round bye, some for the division, some are hoping to hold onto Wild Card positions, some are looking for help to get into the playoffs, and many are just out.

I'll throw Austen under the bus and explain that I typed up my picks early Saturday afternoon and didn't get to respond to his until he was done at about 25 minutes before kickoff, so we're under a time crunch to get this out before the games.  We didn't quite make it, so let's just go.

Here's who we got:

Stally's Eight-Point Pick
New England over @Baltimore

Stally: This is an F-You pick toward an organization that I don't respect and a team that I don't think is any good.  It's a joke that the Ravens are in position to make the final playoff spot in the AFC and reflects just how bad the conference has been this season.  They only have two wins against teams with winning records, they beat Miami by three and Cincinnati in overtime.  They're lucky Justin Tucker can kick, because they needed all six of his field goals to sneak by the Lions last week.

Austen: Actually, the Ravens are still very alive in the race for the AFC North thanks to Cincinnati's mediocrity. The two teams play each other in Week 17, which very well might decide the division. I have the Patriots in this one, but I really don't like the pick and think there is a very good chance the Ravens come out on top, especially since they are at home. The Ravens might not be very good, but who is right now in the AFC? The Chiefs might be the second-best team, and they probably are one and done in the playoffs. The AFC is a mess right now.

Austen's Eight-Point Pick
Denver over @Houston

Austen: Peyton Manning is still fighting for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, so don't think he is going to get sat or let this game slip past him. The Texans are the worst team in the NFL and Manning will take full advantage of that. He also has plenty of experience playing in Houston from his years in Indy. I don't see a way the Texans win this one without their top two running backs.

Stally: Who cares?  The Broncos could go ahead and sit Peyton Manning if they were so inclined.  They'd still beat this terrible Texans teams!

Stally's Seven-Point Pick
@San Francisco over Atlanta

Stally: I'm sure when ESPN picked this Week 16 matchup to close out Monday Night Football, they were ecstatic to have a rematch of last year's NFC Championship Game.  Unfortunately, this shapes up to be just another lopsided clunker that's become all too common on MNF.  There's next to no chance that the 4-10 Falcons go on the road and win this one.

Austen: I have no response. That was perfect.

Austen's Seven-Point Pick
@Detroit over New York Giants

Austen: The Giants' might have the most dysfunctional offense in football right now. They just got humiliated two weeks in a row and now they have to go to Detroit to play a team fighting for their playoff lives. I think this one is going to get ugly. Oh, did I mention Victor Cruz is out for the year? That's not going to be good for anybody. 

Stally: Thanks for mentioning that.  I should also mention that it's Week 16 and the Giants are 5-9, so any player that would miss the next two weeks would be "out for the year."  The Lions are a train wreck right now.  They're 1-4 in their last five and punting away what seemed like a sure playoff appearance.  They should win, but don't be surprised if this is another debacle in Detroit.

Stally's Six-Point Pick
@Seattle over Arizona

Stally: The Seahawks have won 15 straight at home, and QB Russell Wilson has never lost in front of his fans.  In comes an Arizona team, whose only home loss of the season came against Seattle.  And, it's hoping to reverse its fortunes on the road!?  Doubtful.

Austen: I have Seattle too with a lot of confidence, but the more I think about it, the more I think the Cards might pull off an upset in this one. The Seahawks are playing so well, but you never know with this divisional rivalries. I think Seattle wins a close one. 

Austen's Six-Point Pick
@Cincinnati over Minnesota

Austen: I'm going to side with the idea that last week's monster performance by the Vikings was more of an exception to the rule than a sign of what's to come for the Vikings. The Bengals can clinch the division by winning this game if the Ravens lose to the Patriots, so there is plenty of motivation. If they lose this game, no matter what happens in the Pats game, next week's matchup against the Ravens will decide the fate of the AFC North. I don't like the Bengals odds in that scenario and probably neither do the Bengals. If they lose their last two games, there is also a chance they get bumped out of the playoffs entirely. They really need this game.

Stally: "I'm going to side with the idea that last week's monster performance by the Vikings was more of an exception to the rule than a sign of what's to come for the Vikings."  'Nuff said.

Stally's Five-Point Pick
@San Diego over Oakland

Stally: The Chargers tend to beat good teams and lose to bad ones, and their 27-17 loss in Oakland earlier this season only exemplifies that.  I still think they're the sixth-best team in the AFC, but they're a game back in the standings and time's running out on them.  They absolutely need to win out in the next two games for a shot at the postseason.

Austen: Phillip Rivers has always been a beast in December and he loves to take his anger out on the poor, poor Raiders. This is a clear choice in my book.

Austen's Five-Point Pick
Dallas over @Washington

Austen: I hate Dallas and I love Kirk Cousins (who I am starting in fantasy land over Drew Brees). However, Cousins does not play defense and in that regard, the Redskins are in trouble. DeMarco Murray is going to get his wish and be run into the ground today. There should be a lot of points in this one, as Dallas has one of the worst defenses in the NFL as well. Tune in folks.

Stally: I'd rather tune out.  There might be a lot of points scored, but this is going to be ugly, ugly football that's an embarrassment to the overall competitiveness of the NFL.  This might be the last hurrah for either of these coaches in this rivalry, as both are on the hot seat.  I'm out on the Cowboys after their home collapse to Green Bay, and I can't believe they're even allowing Monte Kiffin to return this week.  That said, it's unlikely they'll lose to Washington; the Redskins are awful.

Stally's Four-Point Pick
@Kansas City over Indianapolis

Stally: I've been out on the Colts for about a month now.  Beating up on Houston 25-3 at home last Sunday was a no-win situation for them, as it wasn't something that was going to garner them my respect.  Kansas City is a good solid football team, and Indy is not.  It's likely that the two meet in the Wild Card Round of the playoffs, and it's likely that the Chiefs win both match ups.

Austen: If this was in Indy, I'd take the Colts. As high as I have been on the Chiefs, they still really struggle against teams with winning records. They have yet to have a real signature win, but this week could be it. It's unfortunate that they will most likely not get a home game in the playoffs, thanks to two losses to the Broncos, because they are a real tough team to beat in KC. This should be a great game to watch.

Austen's Four-Point Pick
@St. Louis over Tampa Bay

Austen: The Rams love to play their only good football at home. The Bucs are much improved, but still a not very good football team. I'll take the Rams with confidence. 

Stally: I'll go the opposite and take the Bucs with very little confidence.  I just think that the Rams will be riding a little too high after their upset of the Saints and that they are in for a stinker this week.

Stally's Three-Point Pick
Pittsburgh over @Green Bay

Stally: I had to go out on a limb and predict that Aaron Rodgers would not play in this game, as we made our selections on Wednesday, when his health was unknown.  I read the negative signs correctly, and he is not in.  I frankly couldn't care about Pittsburgh's record, I always respect them as a formidable opponent, and I think they matchup well against the depleted Packers.

Austen: Without Rodgers, this team is not very good. They had to storm back to beat terrible Falcons and Cowboys teams. The Steelers have been playing pretty darn good football. If only they had scored that TD and beat the Dolphins, they'd be right in the playoff hunt.

Stally: And Miami would not ... damn ...

Austen's Three-Point Pick
Chicago over @Philadelphia

Austen: The Eagles just got shellacked by the Vikings last week. The Vikings! Without AP, without Toby Gehart. When that happens, you get no respect. The Bears need to stay ahead of the curve with the Lions and even Packers alive in the NFC North. I think the Bears' offense goes crazy in this one. 

Stally: I've got the Eagles, but I can't really make an argument why.  What an enigma they've been!  I guess I like that they're at home, as I'd take the Bears in Chicago.

Stally's Two-Point Pick
@Carolina over New Orleans

Stally: This could be trouble for the Saints.  They're just 3-4 on the road this season and playing for the division against a Panthers team that's 6-1 at home.  Both teams are 10-4, and a Carolina win puts them in the driver's seat in the NFC South.  I think that's going to happen, as I think New Orleans will struggle on the road against the league's second-best scoring defense (similar to the struggles they had against the best scoring defense in Seattle).

Austen: Like I said, I'm sitting Drew Brees in my fantasy championship. It might be the boldest move I have made in my life, but with a 100% chance of a downpour in Carolina and possible thunderstorms, I don't like Brees' chances against one of the toughest defenses in the NFL. Brees and the rest of the Saints have been a totally different team on the road, and things will not be easy down south.

Stally: "Down south"?  You do realize that Charlotte is well north of New Orleans, right!?

Austen's Two-Point Pick
Tennessee over @Jacksonville

Austen: I like this pick a lot less now that MJD is starting, but I still stand by it. The Titans almost beat a very good Cardinals team last week. I like their chances against the second worst team in the NFL. 

Stally: I don't.  I'm sticking with the Jags pick that burned me last week.  Let's not forget that Tennessee lost at home to Jacksonville earlier in the year to get them off the schneid, and they've been ok since.  

Stally's One-Point Pick
Miami over @Buffalo

Stally: The Dolphins don't play well in cold weather, but they're just a lot better than the Bills.  Miami has a lot of playoff implications riding on the line.  With a win over San Diego earlier in the year, they simply need to win one more game to knock the Chargers out, while their loss to the Ravens looms large as the two are tied in the standings.  With Balitmore still playing New England and at Cincinnati, and Miami playing at Buffalo and home against the Jets, there's a good chance for the Dolphins to outperform the Ravens in the next two weeks and sneak into the final playoff spot.

Austen: I have the Bills and I really don't know why. I like Thad Lewis better than EJ Manuel, so that has something to do it since Manuel is out with an injury. This should be a very mediocre football game.

Austen's One-Point Pick
@New York Jets over Cleveland

Austen: The only reason I like the Jets is because Jordan Cameron is not going to be playing so the Jets can focus all of their energy on stopping Josh Gordon. I expect this to be a low-scoring, terrible game, which is the type of games the Jets win. That being said, I have the Jets with one confidence point. Joe Haden is surprisingly active, which makes this even more of a gamble (I thought he was done for the year when we drafted). 

Stally: I have the Browns because I'm not a Jets fan and I have no hope for them, at all.  The Browns seem to be a more hard-nosed team, even if they are similarly short on talent, and I think they'll tough out an ugly win.

No comments:

Post a Comment